If you have a Giant Game Floor Mat, you can start saving ideas for using it. Seasonal ideas can be used anytime no matter what your monthly unit might be. It is also a good idea to have a game ready to use for “something extra.” This month’s game mat idea is for a Christmastime activity.
Spread the game mat on the floor or hang on the wall using Command Hooks®—holes are provided on two sides of the mat.
- Giant Game Floor Mat (LifeWay Christian Resources, Item 1114564)
- Command Hooks® for hanging on the wall
- Christmas paper plates to place in pockets (20 clear pockets on the mat)
- white address labels
- gift bag
- Bible verses on white paper
- Bible markers for four Bible verses
1. Print numbers 1-20 on address labels. Attach one label on each plate.
2. Place numbered plates in pockets—5 pockets in each row.
3. Print Bible verse words on white paper. Place one word* behind each plate.
Row 1: Good news! Jesus was born (Luke 2:10-11)
Row 2: Jesus was born in Bethlehem (Matthew 2:1)
Row 3: God loved us and sent His Son (1 John 4:10)
*(Combine some words for row 3.)
Row 4: Mary was Jesus’ mother (Matthew 1:16)
(Add one piece of blank paper in row 4.)
4. Place markers in the Bible for the four Bible verses.
5. Print another set of numbers 1-20 to attach to individual cards. Drop the
cards in a gift bag.
- Open the Bible to Luke 2:10-11. Explain that the words of the Bible verse
will be part of the game to talk about the Good News—the birth of Jesus.
- Invite a child to pick a card from the gift bag and find the matching number
on a plate in the game mat. Ask the child to remove the plate and see a Bible
verse word. Continue playing the game, pausing when enough words are
revealed that the Bible verse can be read.
Note: To simplify or shorten the game time, choose two or three Bible verses
and add blank paper in the empty places. If a child removes a numbered plate
without a word behind it, he can take another turn or choose a friend to take the