Play a concentration game using objects instead of flat items or pictures.
Create an object concentration game to use at Christmastime.
Supplies for Object Concentration:
- 12 paper cups (Use less cups for younger preschoolers.)
- marker to print numbers 1 through 12 on cups or to print numbers on gummed labels to attach to cups. (You could also use stick-on numbers.)
- 6 sets of objects such as bells, small packages, package bows, unbreakable ornaments, plastic seasonal flowers or greenery, and manger scene figures
- Place sets of objects on a tray or in a box lid.
- Turn the cups upside down to cover the objects. (See illustration.)
- Arrange the cups in order, 1 through 12.
Directions for Game:
- Invite a child to call two numbers and lift the two cups to uncover the objects.
- If the objects match, the child leaves the cups turned up. If they do not match, he puts the cups back on the objects.
- Continue playing the game until all of the objects have been matched.
- Rearrange the objects under the cups to repeat the game.
- Talk about things boys and girls see at Christmastime. Remind the boys and girls that they are growing and learning that God sent His Son.
- Ask questions such as: “What name did God choose for His Son? Where was Jesus born? Who is Jesus’ mother?”
- Save the cups to use at another time with different objects. When a child removes two cups, he will recognize that the objects are different than the previous time the game was played. Enjoy watching preschoolers play the game.