- Pay attention to your personal Bible reading and corporate worship times.
- Beware of easy fixes- Videos and coloring sheets will never take the place of activities that build a relationship between the teacher and the child.
- A little each day- Read and prep and little bit of your lesson each day instead of waiting until Saturday night or Sunday morning when you’re tired.
- Take care of behavior problems- Ignoring this will only make it worse. Check this previous podcast about guiding behavior. https://mrmarksclassroom.com/2013/05/22/podcast-preschool-discipline-with-no-time-out/
- Evaluate yourself- What did you do well? Do Different? Do again?
- Understand there is a price for your lack of personal discipline- Satan will rob your joy!
- Know what you need to teach- What is the life application and truth of this Bible story?
- Be accountable- Take time to talk with your co-teacher before or after class. Wednesday planning is always terrific time to meet and prepare together.
- Build a cushion- Is there anyone in your church you can mentor. Enlist someone to teach with you and build your own team.
- What is the startup cost?- You need to consider your time, energy, family and calendar. What can you adjust or remove so you can teach this class God has called you to teach?
- Seek the right place to serve- Is your heart with preschool or preteens? Get to the place that brings you the most joy.
- Take care of yourself- Teaching is great fun unless it is just one thing in a long list of things that is already stressing you and robbing your sleep. Plan to rest so you can give God your best.
What other tips would you add?
Podcast: Subscribe in iTunes | Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS