Here are a few ideas to consider using with kids and families during the holidays. Anything that screams serving others and family friendly are great choices in my book. Some of my kid ministry friends suggested these. What would you add to the list?
1. Toy Collection- Partner with Toys for Tots
2. Sock Drive– Packages of socks are collected for our inner city Hope Center. Clothes are donated but new socks and underwear are needed for this ministry.
3. Party during Sunday School-Silly games that help us review the Christmas Story and snacks are terrific and help the calendar by not scheduling another event.
4. Advent Activities
*Jesse Tree-Linage of Jesus www.jessetree.com
*Missions Around the World– Each Week decorate a tree with missionaries & pray for them.
5. Care gift to Missionaries
6. Shoebox Ministry– Samaritan’s Purse (samaritanspurse.org)
7. Angel Tree– Gifts for kids whose parent is incarcerated (prisonfellowship.org)
8. Family Night of Christmas “Making Christmas Memories”
On a Sunday night provide several stations in the church fellowship hall or a variety of classrooms
Family Christmas Photo Booth
Christmas project to do at home together
Matching Game (two matching pictures from each person or thing in the nativity story)
Cinnamon toast and warm cocoa
Dress up Booth for posing in the nativity scene
Card making for neighbors, friends and family members
Advent Paper Chain (25 strips of construction paper for 25 days before Christmas)
Ornament Making– Provide supplies and an example
9. Daily Advent Devotional written by the pastor and possibly record him reading it.
10.Nativity Cut-Out- www.makingfriends.com/biblecrafts/nativity_scene.htm