This canteen is a simple prop to make. If you collect enough metal tins, you can allow older kids to create one during VBS or during a pre-enrollment event. Provide a Survival Canteen for all your leaders during enlistment to get them excited about VBS!
- Metal cookie tins
- Spray paint
- Colored tape if desired
- Utility knife
- Water bottle
- Hot glue gun
- Plastic, fabric, or leather strap
- Duct Tape
- VBS Artwork on self-adhesive paper
- Decide what the top of the canteen will look like and cut a circle for the water bottle spout.
- Punch a hole through both sides about three inches from the spout for the strap to attach.
- Spray paint the exterior of both lid and tin. Let dry.
- Cut the spout from the water bottle and insert it from the inside. Hot glue the spout in place.
- Cut a strap about two feet long or smaller for a child.
- Thread the strap through the holes and tie a knot so it doesn’t slip out.
- Use duct tape inside the tin to cover any sharp edges.
- Add tape stripes on the lid or around the canteen for decoration.
- Personalize the tin with your name and VBS artwork.
VBS Survival Kit for Leaders
Gather this list of items and place them in a zip bag with the following description showing.
VBS Survival Kit
- Candle- To remind you to share the light of Jesus through your life.
- Rubber Band- To remind you to be flexible as we serve the Lord.
- Life Saver– To remind you to help others and accept the help of others.
- Eraser– To remind us that God forgives our sins and we need to forgive as well.
- Cotton Ball– To remind you to keep your heart soft toward God and others.
- Hersey’s Hug– To remind you we all need a hug from time to time.
- Cross– To remind us of God’s great love for us and to share that gift with others.
By Lynn Jordan
- Copy paper with with VBS image or printed logo
- Hole punch
- Four cane poles
- Craft glue
- Print the sign.
- Cut a scalloped edge.
- Lash four cane poles together with twine.
- Punch several holes around the edge.
- Use the twine to sew the sign to the cane.
- Use the glue to attach a few leaves.
Don’t have time to paint VBS scenes? All of the VBS items below are in stock and available in our store. Click HERE to see them all!