- Say what you admire about the child
- Speak kindness
- Trust the child
Starts at the greeting
- What is the child’s body language.
- What questions could you ask a preschooler to connect to their needs?
- What questions could you ask to an older child to find out their needs?
Encourage a positive self esteem
- Teach them they are created by God. They are special to Him.
- Give them unconditional love (Matt. 19:14)
- Show them respect (1 Peter 2:17)
- Be a good listener.
- Provide limits that are reasonable and understanding (they will test)
- Accomplishments should be celebrated
- Develop a sense of community (“Because that’s the kind of people we are”)
- Respect for others is valued
- Encourage children through your conversation rather than judging
- Build trust in your relationships with the child
- Give them opportunities to succeed.
- Help them be responsible.
- Provide opportunities to make choices.
- Develop problem-solving activities and stories.
- Know the needs of each child. (ask parents)
- Encourage the child to take risks in activities.