Play dough can provide sensory experiences as items are available for children to see, smell, taste, and touch. Focus on citrus fruits to create play dough with colors and flavorings to match.
Think about the Bible verses God made us (Psalm100:3) and I am wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14) to express thanks for the senses people enjoy.
Supplies for Citrus Play Dough:
- Basic ingredients and supplies are underlined in recipe printed below.
- flavorings to match fruits (lemon, lime, orange)
- food coloring to match fruit choice for play dough
- citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, and oranges
Bonus Idea: Use a zester to separate the zest (outer peel) from the citrus fruit to allow a child to smell and taste the fruit. (See illustration.)
Citrus Play Dough
Basic Play Dough Recipe:
1 cup flour; 1/2 cup salt; 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 tablespoons cooking oil; 1 cup water
few drops of flavoring
food coloring, if desired
Mix the flour, salt, and cream of tartar together. Mix the cooking oil in the water and add to the dry ingredients. Add flavoring and food coloring, if desired. Stir with wooden spoon and pour mixture in a nonstick pan. (Ingredients may be mixed in the pan.) Stir constantly until dough pulls away from the sides of pan. This process takes about 3 minutes. Empty dough onto waxed paper. Knead until smooth and cool. Store in a zip-lock bag.
- Ask children to describe what they can see, smell, taste, and touch.
- Say: “God made us to see, smell, taste, and touch. Thank You, God.”
Note: Include hand washing in this activity.