- 12 Fillable plastic eggs
- Small Individually wrapped candies
- Permanent markers
- Copy paper
- Plastic storage bag that seals
- Make a “You’ve Been Egged” door hanger out of cardstock. Decorate it and include your church info.
- Print the verses below on copy paper (See file download below). Cut the strips to fit in each egg.
- EGG #1—Matthew 21:8-9 – A large crowd of people spread their cloaks on the road while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. The crowds walking in front of Jesus and those walking behind began to shout, “Praise to David’s Son! God bless him who comes in the name of the Lord! Praise be to God!”
- EGG #2—Matthew 26:14-15 – Then one of the twelve disciples—the one named Judas Iscariot—went to the chief priests and asked, “What will you give me if I betray Jesus to you?” They counted out thirty silver coins and gave them to him.
- EGG #3—Matthew 26:26-28 – While they were eating, Jesus took a piece of bread, gave a prayer of thanks, broke it, and gave it to his disciples. “Take and eat it,” he said; “this is my body.” Then he took a cup, gave thanks to God, and gave it to them. “Drink it, all of you,” he said; “this is my blood, which seals God’s covenant, my blood poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”
- EGG #4—Matthew 26:39 – He went a little farther on, threw himself face downward on the ground, and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, take this cup of suffering from me! Yet not what I want, but what you want.”
- EGG #5—Mark 15:15 – Pilate wanted to please the crowd, so he set Barabbas free for them. Then he had Jesus whipped and handed him over to be crucified.
- EGG #6—Matthew 27:29 Then they made a crown out of thorny branches and placed it on his head, and put a stick in his right hand; then they knelt before him and made fun of him. “Long live the King of the Jews!” they said.
- EGG # 7—Matthew 27:31 – When they had finished making fun of him, they took the robe off and put his own clothes back on him. Then they led him out to crucify him.
- EGG #8—Matthew 27:35 – They crucified him and then divided his clothes among them by throwing dice.
- EGG #9—John 19:34 – One of the soldiers, however, plunged his spear into Jesus’ side, and at once blood and water poured out.
- EGG #10—Matthew 27:59 – Joseph took the body and wrapped it in clean linens, put it in his own tomb, a new tomb only recently cut into the rock, and rolled a large stone across the entrance.
- EGG #11— Matthew 27:66—So they left and made the tomb secure by putting a seal on the stone and leaving the guard on watch. Matthew know you’re looking for Jesus, the One they nailed to the cross. He is not here. He is RISEN, just as He said.
- Use the permanent marker to number the eggs 1 to 12.
- Put the corresponding verse strip and some candy in each egg. (Egg #12 will remain completely empty.)
- Put the eggs in a bag and seal for easy transport.
Scatter the filled eggs in a neighbor’s yard. Don’t forget to leave the door hanger on their door. When they open the eggs, they will have some delicious treats, but BEST OF ALL, they will know the TRUE MEANING of EASTER.