Children enjoy working wooden puzzles such as the box puzzles available from LifeWay Christian Resources. Each box contains four different Bible story puzzles with a section for each puzzle. The lid can be used for the base of a puzzle.
Work with your hands (1 Thessalonians 4:11) reminds boys and girls that God gave us hands to enjoy do many things.
Supplies for Puzzles and Bags Activity:
- Box Puzzle (such as Life of Jesus, Jesus’ Miracle, Creation, David, Life of Moses, and Peter
- 4 gift bags
- letters for bags
- 4 foam sheets, cut to match puzzle size
1. Print alphabet letters on the front of each bag or use stick-on letters. (The box puzzle pieces are identified by letters or shapes.)
2. Remove puzzles from the box and place one puzzle in each bag.
3. Cut foam sheets to make a base for each puzzle. Place the foam sheets under the bags on a table. (See picture.)
4. Stack the box near the bags. Pictures of each puzzle are shown on the box.
- Describe the puzzle activity by pointing to the individual bags and the empty box.
- Talk about the Bible stories. Open the Bible to the reference for one of the stories and say, “Someone read this Bible story and made a picture and a puzzle.
- When all of the puzzles have been worked on the foam sheets, ask questions about the Bible stories.
- Guide the children to put the puzzle pieces back in the bags to be ready for others to work the puzzles.