My kids are great at memorizing verses, but remembering the references for the verses seems to be more difficult for them.
Here are a few tips to help kids take notice of the names and numbers:
- Make the reference out of chenille stems
- Use masking tape to make the reference- this takes lots of floor or table space
- Use stamps to make the reference- Give the kids only the stamps they will need. Make them be creative by using numbers for letters and/or letters for numbers:
- Set a clock to the correct numbers- works for chapters 1-12 and verses 1-59
- String letter and number beads on a chenille stem
- Roll dice to get the numbers
- Cut letters and numbers from magazines or newspapers- create the reference ransom note style
- Put letter and number puzzle pieces together
- Make the reference with blocks
- Make the numbers into a picture that connects to the verse- for Proverbs 8:33 (Listen to instruction and be wise; don’t ignore it.) Make the eight and threes into wise owls.