- Cardstock or regular copy paper (it holds together better than construction paper)
Tip: Make a practice sheet or two before you dazzle your friends with this trick! It makes sense after you make it once.
- Fold the paper in half down the middle (you’ll have a skinny folded paper).
- Mark the paper approximately every ½ inch on each end of the fold (see picture below). You don’t want to cut the last ½ inch.
- Cut the paper down the middle from one mark to the other.
- Fold it back in half like it was and you’ll begin cutting from the outside in, approximately ½ inch strips, being careful not to cut all the way through the edge. Look at the picture to see how I used a marker to demonstrate the cuts. See how the paper is sliced from the left but not all the way across, then from the right but not all the way across.
- When you are finished cutting, slowly and gently open your accordion and you can step through your piece of paper!